I subscribe to the idea that it’s better to be overdressed than underdressed. It makes you look like you have more authority, more places to be, and more reasons to be concerned about your image. Really it just looks more masculine. But, that doesn’t mean a man should always be dressed up.
I’m starting a new series on Fridays where I’ll be showing a picture of a good, casual outfit I like from someone I’ve seen online. Some of them will be more manly than others, but all of them will be featuring pictures of men who take care to dress well even when they’re dressing down.
Here’s what I like about this guy:
- Everything is very simple. Simple shoes, simple shorts, simple shirt.
- He has the right number of buttons undone on his shirt.
- The blue in his shoes and the blue on his shirt complement each other.
- The length and bagginess of his shorts are perfect.
- He’s wearing a lighter color of shorts in the summer.
What I’m on the fence about:
- The fact that his shorts are jeans
- Wearing suspenders with an outfit that’s this casual (however, he does it right by wearing very thin suspenders. They’re mor casual than larger ones)
- The bracelet. I like this normally, but his aren’t doing anything for me.
What I don’t like:
- The fact that he’s wearing a belt AND suspenders. Never do this.
- The colors of his leather don’t match. Brown and black leathers neither match nor complement unless they’re together on a single piece of clothing like a shoe.
- At least he doesn’t shave his legs, but the clean-chest thing is getting old. Show a little testosterone and let your chest hair grow out.